Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What's Underneath

Not all that long ago, I opened up a storage tub that contained about 8 years worth of lingerie that I’ve been carting around with me from California, to Oregon, to Connecticut, to Virginia, to here. I hadn’t opened it before that before I was afraid of it. I just knew that some of the gorgeous stuff I had in there was not going to fit, and that depressed me.

Turns out, by the time I did open it, most of it was too big, and went in the give-away pile (does goodwill take lingerie? Ha ha). What remained were a few key pieces, a leather mini-dress that I’ve yet to try on (no excuse, I just haven’t, but it’s very close to my size now), and about 20 thongs.

*shrug What can I say? C loved thongs. M preferred me to wear nothing, but when C and I got back together, he made his preference very clear, and even ventured into Fredericks in Las Vegas with me a few times to pick some out.

They aren’t my preference. That’s for sure. I have all 20 or so of them tucked away in the bottom drawer of my dresser, and a couple that I actually have worn recently for one reason or another.

There are so many choices these days. I don’t see any reason to be saddled (ha!) with something that I’m not comfortable wearing. They’re just not comfortable, period. Special occasion? Sure. Under lingerie? You bet! But every day? I’ll take a pass on that.

Recently, I started buying tangas

, and what they call “cheeky shorts”.





These are comfortable enough to wear to work, and are still sexy enough to make me feel good about wearing them.

See, I told C, about a year ago – “Life is too short for cheap ugly underwear”, and I meant it. I have a drawer full of very sexy (yet practical) bras from Victoria’s Secret and I see no reason not to have panties that match or compliment them – and even some that neither match nor compliment, but that I just found too cute to pass up. Like the blue lace ones with the ribbon-corset lacing at the top of the back. Or the red and white striped ones with the lace around them that match – hell, most of my wardrobe.

As for the rest of the lingerie, except a few pairs of thigh-highs that actually did fit, most of it is tucked away in the give-away bag, or my bottom drawer. I pretty much decided that I deserved to have all new lingerie, and have been working on rebuilding that portion of my wardrobe, slowly.

I have time /wink

No comments: