Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Distractions

I had a little vacation. I think I needed it more than I knew I needed it before I left. I got to see friends and ride roller coasters and drink sangria. I got to meet new people, laugh over old jokes, and walk til my feet ached.

And that was just the first half of the trip /wink

Maybe we’ll talk about the second part of it when I quit grinning.

Anyway, I traveled yesterday. I had about a 3 and a half hour drive just to get to the airport. Then many hours of airports and planes. Then another hour and a half drive home from Milwaukee. What’s that mean? Lots of think time.

I was thinking back yesterday afternoon on the plane from Newport News to Atlanta, with my iPod full blast on some very solid favorite old songs, about some of the people who’ve passed through my life over these years. Two specifically came to mind – and with them came something that they’d referred to me as – and how a person or two over the last few years have referred to me in much the same way.

I am a distraction.

My friend Johnny was the first person to refer to me as that in my early 20’s. He was in a relationship that he didn’t really want to be in. My presence, and the sexual chemistry between us were distracting to him. At least he said it with a grin on his face *smirk. I was his “Sister Golden Hair” (oh go look it up, it’s a song by America)

Two that came after him used the same word, unprompted. I’d forgotten about that for the longest time. But the fact that I can be distracting has come up again recently.

I don’t do it on purpose. But I’m basically a very candid person. If I think something, and I feel safe in saying it, I’ll say it. My mind doesn’t pay attention to the clock. It doesn’t follow any sort of calendar. It just *is. I’ve thought about taming it. But I’ve been told that it doesn’t really matter if I say it or not. I guess I’m as transparent as tissue paper *laugh.

It used to upset me when people who considered me as a distraction would avoid me sometimes, but now I guess I can understand it for what it is. I’ve been known to avoid discussions with people for the same reason.

It’s all fun until you get so worked up at inappropriate times you feel like going somewhere private and spending quality time with your sexual needs *laugh

I do take it as a compliment, which I guess is all that really matters. And I do try to be appropriate when it’s called for.

But sometimes…. Sometimes it’s just more fun to be.

No comments: