Friday, March 23, 2007

Sugar and spice, hm?

I’ve made no big secret of the fact that occasionally, I like to ‘play’ younger. Younger can mean anything from my former alter-ego, Marie, who’s my thirteen year old ‘daddy’s girl’ – to a rowdy 17 year old (who is un-named) and needs to be taught a lesson or two by someone older. I’ve also made no secret of the fact that part of the reason I enjoy doing this is it’s like reclaiming innocence for a period of time. There’s more to it of course though. As with all things, the other reasons will typically come out in my writing when it’s time.

What brought this up for me today, though, is a small piece of a conversation I had last night. Pigtails were mentioned, as they have been in conversations with this person before, but usually it’s just an ‘lol’ kind of thing.

When I mentioned them last night, though, I wasn’t laughing. And I doubt that he was either.

When I was young, my mom kept our hair very short. It wasn’t until I was a senior in high school that my hair ever touched my shoulders. So as a kid, pigtails didn’t happen for me. And to be totally honest, I’ve never tried to put my hair up that way as an adult, either. I do wear it in a high ponytail a lot at home, but it’s almost always down otherwise.

I was thinking about it as I was walking up to bed last night. And I think I’m going to have to try it this weekend. I’m curious about how it will look. I’m curious about how it would feel. And I’m very curious about my reaction to seeing it in the mirror.

Yesterday, I treated myself to a facial and a massage, and tonight, my hair is getting treated to a deep condition when I get home. That means I can’t straighten it until tomorrow, but once that’s done, I think it’s pigtail time.

Now if I could just find a red and black plaid skirt that I like ……

No comments: