Saturday, March 03, 2007

Flexible

I think sometimes that we see things too rigidly. We expect them to be one way, or for a person to want one thing, when in fact things can change mid-stream and we tend to realize that they’ve changed, or that that change is okay.

Let’s step back a few days to “Princess”. If someone I’m talking with calls me Princess, in my mind I’m thinking that they want a very certain reaction to it. Typically, I have no problem having that reaction (especially to names or words that naturally bring it about), but occasionally, I’ll be off in one direction far enough that it takes a bit more to bring me back to that certain kind of ‘space’.

In my mind, though, I’m kinda biting my nails, because if I don’t immediately slide into the role I’ve been given, I feel like it’s going to be a disappointment to the other person. (This works with family and employment as well, not just kink. If my boss offers me an opportunity to say – work on a new project, and I don’t immediately get excited about said project…same thing).

What I fail to remember sometimes is that we’re all flexible. At least, the people I would want to associate with are.

So Princess didn’t work. How about we try “bitch” instead?

At the time that these names and situations and headspaces were being toyed with, I was in total smart-ass space. (Yea, no one ever sees that coming, right?). So in reality I was closer to “little bitch” than I was “Princess”. It was a much smoother slide for me to make. And I made it easily.

But in the back of my mind, I’m still thinking that he’d changed up his dialogue for me, because I didn’t slip into ‘innocent girl’ mode, and that that is really what he wanted.

Did he, though? I mean, yes, that was my assumption because I took him at face value, but the fact is, people *are flexible, and their wants/needs/desires aren’t nearly as rigid as I always think they’re going to be.

And I wonder why I think that. Are mine that way?

I thought about this last night while I was straightening my hair. And no, they really aren’t. Used to be that I could switch (top to bottom, bottom to top) at the drop of a hat. Because I haven’t played a whole lot with that in the last several years, I don’t know for sure that I’d still be able to do it, but I’m guessing that I could easily if I were inspired to.
Plan changes don’t typically upset me unless it was something that I was *really looking forward to.

But I can also see why I think the way I do. C. is this way. He was continuously concerned (needlessly, I might add) that I was going to be upset if any plans we made were turned upside down by the Navy. As a Navy wife, I expected no less. And frankly it got pretty fucking irritating to listen to him say repeatedly that we couldn’t do this or we couldn’t do that because we didn’t know a boat schedule; or to have him add a caveat onto the end of every ‘loosely made’ play with ‘I can’t promise…’

Well, no shit. You’re in the Navy and you’re at their mercy. I know this, you know this. I’m a grown woman, I don’t need to be told every twenty minutes.

But I guess maybe that’s where I picked up this little mind thing. I wish he’d take it back, I don’t want it anymore.

Okay, so people (including me) are flexible. Things can change in the middle of a conversation and people can typically easily go with the flow.

Maybe that’s part of why I’m so fascinated with pet names to begin with. Each of them evokes a completely different mind-space for me, and I really do enjoy someone flipping those switches around.

No comments: