Friday, March 30, 2007

Someone Else's Skin

What is it that about role-play that makes some people run screaming, while others line up for it?

I realize that role-play covers a huge area of ground, but right now, I’m speaking generically. Plug in cop/criminal, nurse/patient, teacher/student…plug in whatever doesn’t make you run screaming *grin.

I don’t know many people that are so happy and content with their lives that they wouldn’t welcome a bit of escape. C’mon, admit it. It’s fun to take on a new persona on a short-term basis and be someone else. It’s fun to explore what you believe someone else’s reactions would be.

And sometimes, it’s fun to stop thinking about what *your own reactions would be in the same situation.

I think too fucking much. This isn’t news to anyone who has even a casual relationship with me. It’s something I’ve tried to control, tried to curb – but I’ve come to a point in my life where I’ve just accepted it for what it is.

So yea. I’m one of those people who welcomes role-play in my life.

I want to be the student and be disciplined by a teacher for wearing my skirts too short. I want to stutter and stammer and try to come up with an excuse, knowing full well that I won’t, and that I don’t have to.

I want to be daddy’s girl, and not be responsible for anything but making daddy happy. I want to enjoy negative attention for what it is in that kind of relationship – where even the negative attention has a positive outcome, because daddy cares and wants me to be better.

I want to be the cop who gets over-powered by the bad guy and gets her handcuffs taken away from her and used on her *grin

I want to be the whore, the concubine, the prisoner being interrogated. I want to be – someone else. Someone who doesn’t have to think.

Now, don’t get me wrong please. I’m happy with who I am. My over-thinking landed me a damn good job. I have a career, I have a nice home and a family that supports me and loves me. I’ve spent a great deal of the last three years working on myself, inside and out, and I’m more pleased with the outcome every day.

That doesn’t mean I don’t want to trade positions with someone else once in awhile. And it certainly doesn’t mean that I’m satisfied with my life completely.

I think maybe role-play scares people sometimes because they think they’re going to be bad at it. As an over-achieving Type A, you’d think I’d see it the same way, but I really don’t.

I think maybe role-play makes people run screaming because they aren’t comfortable enough in their own skin, let alone someone else’s.

And I think – more than anything – that people run away from role-playing because it’s too much work.

Shame, that. A little hard work never hurt anyone – did it? Even if it was leading up to a really good fuck?

No comments: