Saturday, June 02, 2007

Style

I got up Friday morning to go to work and I pretty much already knew what I wanted to wear. (Casual Friday rocks…)

I pulled out a red sweater tank top that I’d bought several weeks ago, my favorite soft denim jeans and my old-reliable white men’s shirt.

The jeans are too big. I wore them anyway, but for the last time.
The white shirt *sigh was way too big. Last time for that, too.

So obviously, it’s time to replace a few things.

I’m a reluctant shopper most of the time. That probably comes from years of not being able to wear the kinds of clothes I really wanted to wear, but even now that I *can wear them, I still don’t enjoy shopping much. So I pulled out my Newport News catalog, and started thumbing through it this morning.

I’ll be the first person to admit that I do *not follow current fashion trends. I’m very particular about what I wear. I have my own style, more or less. Still to this day, if I could get away with dressing like Stevie Nicks did in the 70’s, I’d do it – boots, flowing skirts and tops – all of it. I also like the 'innocent' look (there's a shocker, right?) at times, and at other times, I'm all about showing off cleavage and wearing stuff that fits me *very well. Clothes are a mood thing with me, and none of those moods have to do with what's 'in style'.

I like a bit of a romantic edge to my clothing most of the time, when I can find stuff that has that, but is also work-appropriate (most of the time) because I don’t like to buy stuff I’ll only wear on certain occasions, unless of course it’s for a very *special occasion.

So, I did my shopping online, since I pretty much know how NN’s clothes fit me. I even bought a pair of sandals, since I had to tuck my boots away for the summer this week. (/sad)

Did I buy any of that flowing, romantic Stevie-esque stuff? You bet your ass I did. But only one. /grin I feel good wearing that stuff. I feel sexy. Not even would think it was sexy, but I do – and as I said earlier in the week – if I feel sexy, I am sexy.

It’s a whole different world shopping this side of 20, let me tell you.

Then of course, Victoria’s Secret is running their semi-annual clearance sale, and you know I had to shop that catalog too. You know. Just for the basics…

Next on the list: A pair of real high heels. I haven’t been able to wear them in so many years that it’s time to re-learn walking in them. Even dancing in them. But those I’ll buy in person, because shoe sizes for that (like boots) is important, and they vary so much.

Thing is, even though I don’t really like shopping, by the time I was done today, I was feeling pretty good. I got a lot of chores done around here, and I’ve gotten some writing done. All in all, it’s been very productive.

And now it’s time to write the ‘better’ stuff. /grin

No comments: