Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Portion Control

Okay, I'm thieving this from a response I made to a topic on a message board I frequent. The whole thread made me very leery and a little queasy. The question asked (parapharsing) was "would it be acceptable to have a dominant controlling my diet/exercise?"

Having battled this issue myself, I had to say ....

Much as I hesitate to do so, I'm going to respond to this - good bad or indifferent.

My short answer is -- hell NO I don't want a dominant controlling my weight. My *weight* has controlled *ME* for the last 42 freaking years, and it's just now - after 2 years of lap band-surgery/diet/exercise started to be *less* of an issue for me so that I can focus on other things. Any dominant who stepped in at this point and tried to control how I ate - when I exercised - would be shown the door post haste.

Weight is a huge issue for I'm guessing at least half this country. Look at the eating disorders. Look at obesity. Look at the freaking Jenny Craig commercials with celebrities for the love of god. It's so much more mental and emotional for so many of us, and loaded with booby-traps and regression-possibilities that I can't imagine anyone wanting to have someone else control what goes into their mouth.

Obviously, people do, as I've read here - and hey - if it works for you, and you feel better - that's awesome. But the land-mines associated with self-image and self-esteem are simply too difficult to navigate for human beings sometimes.

My ex-husband/master loved me at any weight. And while I adored him for that, I also realized that it made me lazy about my own health. But that was not his issue; it was all mine, and it wasn't until I dealt with it head-on before having surgery that I was able to actually get healthy and balanced. I'd lost weight before. I've probably, in 30 years of dieting, lost a good 4 people. And gained them all back.

My question for submissives who want this would be -- what happens if the relationship ends? Does your healthy lifestyle go with it? Or are you able to carry it on, despite the dominant being absent?

Bottom line -- you have to do it for yourself. Need help? Okay, take the assitance where it's offered. But make sure your end motivation is true.


That question just hit me like a ton of bricks and sent red flags screaming around inside my head.

For many people, the battle to be healthy emotionally, physically and mentally is a day-to-day struggle. The balance is difficult to maintain, and I do not by any means profess to be an expert at it. But I do know that what I have achieved over the last two years would *not* have been achieved with someone else 'making' me do it. It *had* to come from me.

No comments: