Monday, June 18, 2007

Permission

I bought Eragon when it first came out on DVD. I'm a fan of the books, so I wanted to see this blue dragon come to life. I finally got around to watching it Friday night. And the baby dragon was adorable. CGI, or not, I awwwww'd all over it.

That's probably the best thing I can say about the movie(they tried to cram way too much into it, and the story got lost), except that one phrase in particular, which is used often in the movie, made me think a bit about some things. I've heard it before, but for some reason, in that venue, it sparked some internal conversation:

"It is better to ask forgiveness than permission. "

There have been very few times, since I started exploring the wild world of d/s and it's kinky cousins that permission has come up as an issue.

I'll be the first one to admit that both of the major dominants I had in my life - C and M - weren't the strictest of the bunch. C is, by his own admission, far too lazy to be strict and M had enough other mental issues going on in his own head to have to deal with much management where I was concerned. Typically, I have always had a "do, tell later" atmosphere - and if it was an issue, it was dealt with then. About the only time I can remember either of them wanting to control anything I had to ask permission for - it was my orgasms.

All well and good.

But it does leave me wondering how I would have reacted - or might react in the future - if there were more things I were required to ask permission for.

I dislike the idea of being micro-managed on a long-term basis. Seriously dislike it. Unless it serves a specific purpose, I just have never seen a need for that in my life. I know what needs to be done, and I do it. I don't want to be told how to handle every aspect of my life. I've gotten this far without being mentally or physically destroyed, I think I can decide when it's time to eat or sleep on my own for the most part. Thanks anyway.

I can see where occasionally, minor things might be fun to play with. The eating or sleeping for an example. But not on a daily basis, or at least, not unless I could see a real purpose...

... I think that's the bottom line, right there.

What's the purpose for the permission being given or asked for?

We've already basically established over the last several months that my bottom line in playing with dominant/submissive roles is all about sex. There may be a little of other things tossed in for some parts, but mostly, it revolves around sex. So the question is -- are there circumstances where 'permission' for certain things - not of a sexual nature - can revolve around a sexual connotation?

I'm guessing that pretty much anything *can*. The only question I see is how.

As I said, this just isn't something I ever really had to deal with before. Never had a big desire for it; never had a dominant who had a desire for it, either. I don't know if that has something to do with my choices, or just coincidence. *smirk*

No comments: