Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Greedy

In life, there are certain things we're taught *not* to be. Our families instill different 'stay away from that!' attitudes in us as we're growing up. Some stay with us. Some go away.

I've said before that I was raised Catholic, and remained a Catholic until age 25, when they asked me not to come back until I'd 'come back to my beliefs' (I was working with an out of town family planning clinic to get one in our community, I was on the news a lot, gave a lot of interviews, etc). I never went back. I'm afraid of being struck by lightning :) I was raised by parents who were concerned with 'appearances', perhaps at a normal level, maybe a little higher than normal. I was raised with one sister who is 13.5 months older than I am, and with whom to this day, I do not get along with. I was raised by certain standards. There are just some things you do not want people to think of you.

But the word of the day for today is greedy. And I still don't want to appear greedy about almost anything - despite whatever it is I may be feeling at the time.

Unless of course, it's during sex.

What brought this up for me is that last week, when playing one of my mmorpg's, I was given a couple of items that yes - I needed - but I didn't want to take the second one, for fear of appearing 'greedy'. I needed it. I wanted it. But I fought against taking it strongly. This happens to me a lot in gaming.

So, I started thinking last night about being greedy, in my every day life. And then, as typically happens, I applied the word to sex.

The dictionary.com definition #2 is what fit this best for me: ardently or excessively desirous

If the shoe fits....

The only time in my life I can ever remember being completely blasé about sex was with my first husband. He had no imagination, didn't want to experiment with anything new, and didn’t want to try anything different. It got to the point where I could predict every move he was going to make.

Other than that, 'excessively desirous' probably fits me to a T.

What's excessive, though? I mean, look. I'm not immediately turned on by just anyone, and as I've said before, I need to have an intellectual connection with someone before my 'ardently desirous' thing kicks in, but once it has? It has. Period. If I am into someone, sex multiple times a day is *not out of the question. Neither is it mandatory. But the option is nearly always there.

If that’s greedy, I’m fine with that.

The word does have another sexual connotation as well. Tack it onto any ‘pet name’; add it to any phrase and it increases the volume of the words. “Greedy little slut.” “Selfish little bitch.” It’s another level of wantonness that just increases the blood flow to certain portions of my anatomy.

My parents raised me to not be greedy or selfish, but at certain times, in certain circumstances, it’s hard to be anything but.

And I’m fine with that. I haven’t heard any complaints from anyone else, either …

No comments: