Thursday, April 27, 2006

LDRs

I was talking to a friend of mine the other night about long distance relationships.

Having been married to a sailor, and having been online for over 12 years now, I've had more than a few of these myself. And my initial gut reaction to them is - egads no back off get away! get away!

But...

What's considered long distance? I live in Madison. I meet people from Milwaukee and Green Bay. They are less than 2 hours away - is that still considered long distance? Or does someone actually need to live in your town to NOT be considered an LDR?

And what about this: If you have two people who are infintely busy with their lives, careers, family and don't have a ton of time to spare for having a typical relationship, and have the means to travel to each other when schedules mesh - why is an LDR such a bad thing? Wouldn't it be harder to have that person right down the street, and not be able to see them anytime you wanted to?

I dunno. Maybe my mind is expanding with the spring warmth we've gotten around here this week. But I'm wondering why my mind was so closed to the possibilities - especially because of the way my life is right now - busy. Wouldn't LDR suit me better?

And again - I dunno. I do have a tendency to be impatient at times (no....say it isn't so~), and LDRs require infinite patience. Could I re-develop that? Yea, for the right kind of relationship I think I could.

There are upsides and downsides to every kind of relationship. If there weren't, the divorce rate in this country wouldn't be as high as it is.

There are people who need instant gratification. And others who enjoy a slow burn and a big buildup. I suppose the later is the type that could handle an LDR just fine.

As for instant gratification, that's what vibrators are for~ :P

No comments: