Monday, July 02, 2007

Honey & Vinegar

I learned something about myself at work last week. I thought maybe it deserved exploring.

There’s another person at the company I work for that I don’t get along with very well. I’m not really sure why, except that most of the time when she can come at me with something, she does so in a very hostile way.

One day last week, she came at me a bit sweeter than that – and found out that if she really wants something from me, the old adage is true – you’re gonna get more flies with honey than vinegar.

I’m not sure I’ve always been that way, but I know that I am now, in most parts of my life. You’re not going to get something from me by badgering or by making me feel guilty (two fail safe methods in years past) but if you ask me nicely and you ask respectfully, then chances are, I’ll not only do what you ask, I’ll do it happily and feel good about doing it.

How that meshes with submission I don’t know yet. It’s not something that I’ve had ample opportunity to explore. I do think that it’s always possible that I’ll revert to the older ways sometimes in that case, but to be honest, I’ve only had one dominant that felt it necessary to use those methods.

I’m not, of course (god forbid) saying that dominants should ask permission for every little thing and nicely and all that. I’m more talking about big things, things that will impact more of my life than a scene or sex. Again, I’m not entirely sure it applies at all in that area.

But it certainly does everywhere else. I’m glad for the opportunity to have recognized yet another change in myself and my habits.

No comments: