Monday, January 29, 2007

Write Right.



I'm not the kind of person who writes by formula, or for money.

I write because I'm inspired. I write what I'm inspired about. When I'm uninspired, I'm frustrated because I can't write.

Inspiring me is not so difficult. It doesn't take a live person, or a visual. Inspiration can come from anywhere.

When I have it, I feel blessed. And when I don't, I feel depleted.

I've learned over the years to live with the depleted feeling. It comes and goes. Sometimes when I can't write, I get cranky and frustrated and other times, I just accept it for what it is - downtime.

I'd like it that if I weren't able to write in the erotic genre, if I could at *least* work on the two or three fantasy stories I've started. But it seems like lately (the last two years), I've had a great lack of inspiration for that too. I have about 100 pages of two different stories that were born in EverQuest. Stories that could easily be translated to non-gaming related fiction. I wish I knew, then, why they just sit there, unfinished and un-worked on.

Steven King says he forces himself to write every day. I wish I could do that. Sometimes, my lack of self-discipline ends up making me feel worse. I've read writing books where authors have stated they set aside a schedule to write. Maybe I should try that. Maybe if I set it in stone, and stop giving myself reasons to bail on it, I'll get something accomplished - in one of my two chosen genres or both.

I'll see if I can't work on that. Today.

No comments: