Saturday, May 24, 2008

Serenity

I’m not much of a crowd follower. In my younger days I was. I started smoking, didn’t I? But now, I tend to run screaming from anything that too many people rave about. Intentional rebel? Maybe. More like I just don’t like to be normal *grin

So when yet another friend of mine started raving about an TV Series called “Firefly”, I cringed a little. C raved about it, as well as several of my other friends. But I finally cracked, more from curiosity than anything else, and I bought the dvd set just to make them all pipe down. I mean – c’mon. Space western? What the hell is that? I’m not a huge science fiction fan and while I do have a cowboy fetish, I’m not really a western fan, either. It sat on the shelf of my tv stand for well over a month before I finally caved and put the first dvd in.

From about the first half hour into the 2 hour pilot, I realized something. I really did like the damn show.

I was disgusted with myself about that for awhile. Then I gave up the ghost and decided that even this weird space western had clever humor, good action and a cast of characters that was unique. I absolutely adore the girls in this series, especially Annora and Kaylee. Annora is so blazingly upfront and sensual. Her career path, while not something I'd seriously do, is something that intrigues me nonetheless. And Kaylee in her innocence... you know she's not that innocent. You know there's a very deep sexuality buried under all those smiles and that sweetness.

So, the three words that I dislike saying and everyone seems to love to hear from me ….

You. Were. Right.

Okay. Fine. Let’s move on.

After I finished watching the last three episodes of Firefly last night, and then the special features, I decided I probably would get in the car and drive to Border’s today to get the movie, Serenity. I did that today.

In other news …

A couple weeks ago, I picked up the special edition of Clerks II, since I have up until now neglected to buy it. I love View Askew movies. I have had a serious crush on Silent Bob (Mr Kevin Smith) since the first time I saw Clerks. Once or twice a year, I line up all of my Kevin Smith movies and have a little tribute day. For me, that’s Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Now, I can add Clerks II to that.

Not only are these movies hilarious, but there are classic lines in every one of these that just stick in your head forever. Two of my favorites come from Chasing Amy.

“I love you, I always will. Know that. But I'm not your fucking whore. “

“I was an experimental girl for Christ sake! Maybe you knew from early on your track was from point A to B, but unlike you I was not given a fucking map at birth, so I tried it all! That is until we, you and I, got together and suddenly I was sated! “

That man should never stop writing. Ever.

So this weekend, while I’m recovering from some gawd awful virus that’s making it’s way around Madison, I’m going to hole up, have my Kevin Smith Film Festival and watch the Firefly movie.

And write. I intend to write. *grin

Enjoy your holiday!

No comments: