Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Comfort From the Flickering Screen

From my first post today, you may notice I’ve been struggling with a couple of things. While I do feel better at least having gotten it out of me and onto paper…err…screen… it was still pretty emotionally exhausting to sort through.

I think everyone has things they go to for comfort. Food used to work for me, but not so much anymore considering the band. I’m not a big drinker. I don’t take drugs, except for maybe a couple of xanax a year. (Yes, I have a prescriptions :p)

So what’s my comfort?

Music. And it’s not just recently. It’s always been that way for me.

Last night, I put “Almost Famous” in the DVD player and watched it. It’s one of my favorite movies of all time. I love the era, the music, and having small crushes on Kate Hudson and Jason Lee doesn’t hurt either. It’s a great story.

Tonight, after spewing emotion and then logging into Warcraft and an aborted raid, I needed another dose of comfort. I started to look through my DVD shelf, and stopped quickly at the yellow cardboard container that houses one of the best doses of musical therapy available to me.

Fleetwood Mac’s The Dance.


God I love Stevie Nicks. Cliché maybe, but she has sung me through some of the most difficult crises anyone should ever have to endure. She’s an ethereal presence, both in person (I saw her a long time ago with Joe Walsh, god what a show that was), and on my flickering TV screen. The biggest cure for me on the entire DVD is Landslide, one of my favorite songs of all time. Screw the Dixie Chicks and screw Smashing Pumpkins. That song belongs in Stevie’s voice only.

Another highlight for me is hearing Silver Springs, the way the song was intended to be sung on the Rumors album.

And then of course, there is – Rhiannon. “…dreams unwind, love’s a state of mind ….”

I feel so much better now *grin

No comments: