Monday, May 19, 2008

The Importance of Kissing

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein

I got two new big pillows for my bed. I used to have 4 fluffy feather pillows on it, but over the last six months, two of them have developed "leaks" and I've had to set them aside to be taken to my mom for repairs. I got a couple of very nice faux down filled pillows, hoping that since they aren't real down, they won't leak *grin. I also bought some high-count pillowcases for them, so they're actually very luxurious on my bed. I’m going back to get the matching sheets.

I have so many pillows for a reason. I like the bed feeling 'full'. I sorely dislike the idea of an empty bed for long periods of time, and I got used to having so many when C was out of sea so much. Even if you're in the bed alone, you feel a certain volume to it. And it helps.

Beyond having another body in the bed, one of the big things I miss about having a consistent partner/lover/boyfriend/what-the-hell-ever is kissing. Sounds simple enough, right? It’s really not.

I recently told someone that, in relation to a casual relationship, the lack of kissing would be a deal breaker for me. Remember the scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Robert’s character says that she never kisses her tricks? I understand it in her case. But in my case, it doesn’t work. Not only are people not ‘tricks’ to me, but kissing is a huge part of the whole sexual experience. A great kisser can make me immediately ready for sex. A bad kisser can turn me off so much that I don’t even feel remotely up to sex. I have gotten past it in a few cases, but for the most part, if a guy is a bad kisser, chances are I’m not going any further with them.

I’ve had kisses that were so wet I felt like I needed a towel. And conversely some so dry that I wondered if there was some sort of physical deformity involved. If a guy immediately stuff my mouth full of tongue I’m not going to react well to it. There needs to be a bit of finesse involved in that, and some guys, no matter what their age, still haven’t learned that. I don’t like ‘loose lips’ either.

Picky? Yup. And unapologetic about it. Kissing is sexy as hell to me and important. If someone can fire me up with a couple of hot kisses, I know I have myself a winner.

Yes, it really is that important.

A man's kiss is his signature. ~Mae West

Making out should be fun. Spending an hour, two, three with someone on a couch or a blanket or a bed before any actual sex happens can be a shitload of fun and should never be ignored. Not every time you have sex, of course, but often enough that neither of you forget that the base of sexual attraction is not simply intercourse. It’s all the stuff that leads to fucking, too.

Kissing is a big part of that. Probably the most important part. And well worth the time to learn to do properly.

No comments: