Monday, October 05, 2009

Souvenirs Part 2


I wrote about souvenirs awhile back.

I do like to keep things that remind me of happy times.

But in reading today (in the car at work), I realized something very timely, considering our current weather.

I really really really have to let my leather jacket go.

It's a wonderful keepsake from a very unhealthy relationship and while the jacket itself reminds me of happy times in some cases, the overall truth of that period of time...is not happy.

I've had it long enough, and while I have always said that I would keep it until I died and then be buried in it, I'm not sure that's the right thing to do now.

Letting go is something I am *not* good at in some cases.  Unless I get smacked in the forehead with something, I have always tended to hang on until the pain of doing so became too great.  I don't think keeping the jacket has been "hanging on" to that relationship but I do think that a new jacket infused with it's own new energy is a better choice. 

But I'll be recycling it.  My mom has been begging for that jacket for as long as I can remember and her birthday is this week.  In addition to her gift, I'm going to give her that, too.

If I can do it.

I'm going to try.

Wish me luck.

No comments: