Sunday, September 07, 2003

Escape
And not of the Pina Colada Variety


I haven’t played EQ (see March archive, or Everquest ) since Thursday. Matter of fact, I shut down both computers (took my “mule” out of the bazaar, too) on Friday, and just – didn’t play.

I realized during my “clouded moonlight meditation” last night that I’ve been using EQ as an escape from reality. Frankly, I think most of the people who play EQ do that. And there’s nothing wrong with it, provided you acknowledge it, and don’t abuse it.

There have been times I’ve abused it. I’ll admit that. It’s nice to not have to remember that my husband is gone, and won’t be home anytime soon – that my family is still having sadness that my grandfather died – that my sister is still the wicked witch of the Midwest – but eventually, you have to shut the computer off. Course, now that I realize what I’ve been doing – living in the fantasy world of Norrath as my lil wood elf druid, I’ll likely not be doing it so much anymore. Which is fine. Gives me more time to get some other things accomplished.

My energy levels have changed over the last month or so. I’ve spent more time working on the house – on my soap and candle projects – on other little artsy-crafty projects for the house – than I normally do. And I’ve been writing more – here, included. Whatever push I needed, evidently I got.

It’s all good.

No comments: