Saturday, June 27, 2009

Turn of a phrase


I'm almost afraid to write this here, because then when I finally do use it in some erotic fiction, it'll seem planned.

But I read this phrase in the book I'm currently reading (Succubus Dreams from the Georgina Kincaid Series by Richelle Mead) actually made me get out of bed, and find a pen so that I could write it down. It struck me, right between the eyes, and I lay there, thinking about it long after I had turned off the light.

I won't give you the entire sentence, but the basic phrase was this:

"The words crawled over my skin"

Richelle Mead writes hip, funny urban fantasy. She hooked me with "Succubus Blues" and I've continued reading. But while her words are meant to be derogatory in the context she was writing, if I were to use them, they'd be much differently applied.

The words made me shudder. The way Richelle's words read were more like 'a spider crawling over my skin' but for me, it's more like 'fingers/teeth/tongue dancing across my skin'.

I have a story in mind, or at least the start of one, for that one particular phrase.

Now, all I have to do is get myself into the mindset to write it.

No comments: