Monday, April 16, 2007

I am not infallible

I should say this. I'm not infallible.

And I do say this, because I got reminded of that recently.

I know I ramble on and on about using your common sense and keeping your guard up and not trusting too easily. And I get to do that. Because I'm been on the bad end of that stick before.

I got an email the other day on one of the message boards I visit. I'd seen him posting, but I wasn't entirely sure it was him because the state wasn't right. (omg people move!). But when I saw his name in my email box, before I opened it, I knew it was him.

He came to rescue me once out of a pretty hairy situation. I don't know how far he had to drive or how much notice he got, but I do know it was in the middle of the night, and my safe call contacted him. He came to pick me up, took me back to his house and put me on his sofa. I have never forgotten it. It was my first - and only - real lesson in "you get what you pay for" in meeting people online.

And that's probably why I *do ramble on and on about being safe and smart. Not everyone is going to get as lucky as I did. Not everyone is going to have a safe call who knows people who will drive across a state to pick you up in the dark of night, and then give you a sofa to sleep on.

So if you think I'm just typing to see my words in print, you're wrong. I know from which I speak. I am the lesson you don't have to learn yourself. I am your bad example.

I am not infallible.

But I'm damn cute /wink

(thank you, MH *smile*)

No comments: