Monday, July 05, 2010

Just go with it

I got my hair cut recently.

I went back to my original stylist after trying another one here in town. 

I got seriously bored with the long blonde straight thing, so I went in with a picture and after a long discussion with her, we picked an avenue to traverse.  She took about 3 inches off the back and gave me some shorter layers on the sides and top.  I was thrilled with the way she had it styled, and while I've yet to be able to duplicate it, I'm still pretty happy with it.  Today, I put 4 haphazard small braids in it, and left the rest of it go while it was wet.  It looks very wild and free -- just the way I like it.

Hair is an accessory.  For me, it's a big part of my identity, and when my hair looks good - is soft and loose - it makes me feel incredibly sexy.  I've spent the last couple of years straightening the hell out of it, and I still do, to some extent, but not so extreme.  I'm trying to let it dry curly and embrace my natural curls instead of fighting them.  They're part of my nature, and if I can get them to look good, it'll make me feel good.

I have trouble with my hair when I travel.  The minute it got wet in Virginia Beach, it was all over and I barely touched it the rest of my trip.  It always seems to look better at home, but maybe that's because I am more focused on it here.

I'm trying to just go with it.

I find myself fighting my nature far too often lately, which tells me that I'm doing things for other people and not enough for myself.  I've done that for most of my life, and along with the other changes it's something I need to stop doing. 

It is my life after all.

No comments: