Monday, March 24, 2003

If you're reading this, you probably know me. If you don't, you wouldn't know that in addition to being a computer geek, and a published author, I'm also own a handmade soap and candle business. Today was a creative day for me. 2 batches of soap (raspberry-oatmeal and Strawberry), plus some other goodies I needed to get done for an order. It's kept my mind and body very busy so far and I haven't had to stop and think about anything else. That's always good.

I really want to sit down and do some writing (of the ds variety) but with everything else that's been going on, I haven't had the headspace for it. After Saturday night, you'd think I would, but I haven't.

I wrote a story awhile back that finally put my bundle of stories over the edge (word count wise) so that I could send my collection to my publisher. I'll be working on that over the next few weeks. In the contract for my poetry book, my next book has to be submitted to them first. (I still can't believe I have a publishing contract! WooT). I could add a few more stories to the collection, if I can get myself adjusted around so that I could write. I know they say to just write every day (which, dear reader, is why you're reading this in the first place.), but it isn't as easy as the books tell you it is. It's hard, sometimes, to come up with anything to say. (Even for me the mouthy blonde)

CNN is on, but is muted more and more. It's so hard to watch the carnage on TV, even when I believe this is necessary to protect everyone - not just us - but the countries surrounding Iraq as well.

I remember being very small and seeing the Viet Nam war on TV. Not specific images, but I remember the camoflague and the reporters in the jungles.

It's almost comical, though, that when I graduated high school, I was totally against our presence in Viet Nam. Now, as much as I understand where the protestors of this war are coming from, I can't find it within myself to blow them off. They make me angry.

My politics are a mixed bag. I am pro-choice. I am pro-death penalty. I am pro-military. I was a staunch liberal up until I'd been transplanted to California for 4 years. California will do 1 of 2 things to a liberal. It'll either make you worse, or cure you. I was cured.

Regardless, this war - this time - is much more personal to me. It may well be simply because C is a submariner, but I hope I'm a deeper thinker than that.

Okay, back to the soap pot. I don't pick C up tonight until after 8pm, so maybe I'll get some time to write after all.

No comments: