Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Continuing yesterdays punishment thread…

I talked with C. about this on the way home from the base last night. He agrees with me that punishment and play should be separated with a pretty thick line. What came out of sharing my thoughts with him, however, is a whole lot more to think about, some of which we discussed during the half hour drive home:

Firstly, there are three scenarios that could exist where punishment might be appropriate. 1) We both agree that I’ve done something wrong, 2) He believes I’ve done something wrong, but I’m not sure I agree and 3) I feel like I’ve done something wrong, but he’s not convinced it was a punishable offense.

Numbers 1 and 2 are pretty easy to identify and resolve. It’s the third that seems to be a slight sticking point currently.

Going along the lines of what I said yesterday – punishment can alleviate guilt – and also – my occasional bouts of “babbling around a point without being able to make one” – it could get tricky to be able to explain to him that first off – I did something wrong (C’s favorite words to hear from me are “I was wrong” because he doesn’t hear them very often!) – and to actually ask him – or tell him I need – to be punished. That’s going to be a difficult obstacle for me to overcome, but since this whole damn thing was my idea, I guess I have to.

On a funnier note, we were both trying to come up with examples for all three situations and couldn’t, so it’s obvious that I never do anything wrong! HA!

More on related subjects after I pack up some candle orders.

No comments: