Thursday, October 02, 2008

Writer's Block

I bought a book this summer (okay, I bought a lot of books this summer but this one is different). I'm so tired of writer's block - or, at least what I'm calling writer's block. It gave a lot of helpful ideas on how to break through, writing exercises, stuff like that.

I've done some of the exercises. Or at least I've tried to.

And I'm still hitting the wall.

One thing I read in the book that really hit home is that there is almost always a reason for the block. Fear, anger, sadness, depression - there is usually a good reason the block exists, and the trick is to figure out what it is.

And that sounds very familiar to me. Because I've been sorting through some 'icky' feelings this year, and I think I got to the bottom of it. It's not completely resolved; I still haven't voiced the problem to the interested party. But I think that at least knowing what it is does help.

So can I suddenly write now? No. Not that I expected to, but it's a little disappointing nonetheless.

I'm going back to the exercises this weekend and do a couple. I'm determined to get past this. I fall asleep every night writing in my head - I have two different ideas I'm playing with and one of them is very exciting to me. I want to write them both.

And I will eventually.

But this is a step. I haven't even been writing here, and that kills me, too. Hopefully, this will work better than any writer's block exercise. Time will tell I guess.

No comments: