Saturday, December 12, 2009

Back to research!

It's been a bit.  I have been working too much and being utterly and completely .... quiet when I haven't been working.  Tired, I guess. This year has been a bit tiring...


But I'm back :) 

Last night, I finally got around to watching American Swing, a movie about Plato's Retreat in New York City in the 70's and early 80's.  This was an interesting, and often funny look into the swing culture of the 1970's.  I've often said I was born 10 years too late to get to really enjoy any of that free love shit, and was coming of age sexually (mentally coming of age, ready to explore) around the time that AIDS was just coming out.  Unfortunately, that devoured society's ability to accept anything remotely outwardly sexual.

Swinging is still around today.  M decided at one point that he'd always harbored an interest in it, so we found a club and attended a few parties in San Jose.  While I found it interesting and in some cases, fun,  there was a part of me that was never comfortable in that relationship and thus not really comfortable with inviting the open relationship quandary into it. 

In any case, the closing of one NYC club certainly didn't cause the end of the lifestyle.  It still exists, and even celebrated.  I've often read that it gave birth to a "safer" swinging lifestyle, polyamory.  But I wouldn't say that to a polyamorist /wink.

The idea, and ideals, of open sexuality are still very appealing to me.  Probably always will be.  But there's a difference between a single woman walking into a swing party...and a secure couple.  And frankly, I'm pretty sure that unless I am part of the latter, it's not going to be something I'd consider exploring.


Anyway, tonight, we proceed!  The Nature of Sex is a five part Discovery Channel series about...well, duh.

I've just started it, so I can't give you any more information! But we'll see how it is.

No comments: