Monday, October 05, 2009

Multiples


On those nights when I should be writing or making soap or doing something else, and there's nothing on TV, I look for other stuff to watch.

Tonight, I saw True Life on the TV Guide Channel and clicked info to see what it was about.  This is actually about the only thing on MTV that I'll watch.  I like most of the episodes I've seen.  And tonight's subject?

Polyamory.


Wow.  Seriously? Polyamory in the 18-25 age group, and on MTV?

Just....wow.

So you know me.  I had to watch it.

I have mixed experiences with polyamory.  I've met some people whom are very happy and contented in their multiple relationships   My ex in CA and I discussed it multiple times but he proved to be untrustworthy at the first attempt and took advantage of the concept.

Part of me would like to know how it feels to have a relationship like that.  And another part of me is scared shitless of it.  But the fact is that I am not in a place right now where I am looking to live with someone or to be married.  Maybe that's just because I'm not meeting people, but that's how I feel right now.  As many issues as my 'ultra-independence' has caused me for the last few years, I'm not feeling ready at this point to give it up yet.

I just don't know how I'd handle it, but it's an idea that is floating around in my head. Serious relationships, but open relationships.  I think, actually, that I'd fare better in that situation than where I am now, with no serious relationships.

The relationships in the show are interesting.  But because of the demographic of this show as previously mentioned, the 18-25 year olds, I don't have a lot in common with them.

But it's very interesting to think about.  I think I'll continue to do that.

No comments: